Holiday Hat Ornaments
Posted by Debra Quartermain on December 14, 2017
Do you like to decorate in non-traditional colors for the Holidays? I do! In our family room I chose a teal and candy pink scheme for the tree. Making some new ornaments was required and I chose to add a touch of whimsy with polka dot and striped winter hats. My favorite trim is ball pom or pom pom trim, I just love those little soft balls hanging from the braid and the baby pom pom trim is perfect for small projects. Whatever you add the trim to, it is instantly fun, bright and cheery!
When you are making a few ornaments, being able to die cut the pieces is such a time saver. I used two adorable hat dies from Sizzix/Ellison designed by Laura Kelly. I also used a snowflake die to cut out snowflakes from glitter felt. Felt die cuts very easily. Just run your die and felt sandwich through the machine back and then rewind once for a clean cut.
You will need:
1/2 yard Lorlana Baby Pom pom fringe trim per pair of hats. http://www.expointl.com/lorlana-baby-pompom-fringe-trim-3-8/
9” x 12” craft cuts of Kunin Felt Coordinates: (1 per hat) White Dot Candy Pink, White Stripe Lagoon
9” x 12” craft cut of Kunin Glitterfelt: 1 White
1” Pom pom per hat
White embroidery floss
Scissors, embroidery needle
- 1.Die cut two hats for each ornament. TIP: Be sure to reverse the felt with pattern facing right side up and then down to have the pattern on both front and back. Optional: Die cut snowflakes from Glitterfelt or use purchased snowflakes.
- 2.Place hat pieces together and blanket stitch around all sides. (If you do not want to stitch just glue pieces together.)
- 3. Glue trim along lower edge of hat on back for pink hat and front for blue hat.
- 4.Make a loop of floss for hanger. Glue to top of hats, pink hat on back and blue hat on front.
- 5.Glue large white pom poms to hat tops.
- 6.Glue Snowflakes with buttons to front of hats.
These hat ornaments would make great little gifts to add to a package and personalize with a child’s name and date.
Till next time, keep creating and holiday crafting! We would love you to share with us on our FB page. https://www.facebook.com/ExpoIntl/